Okay, so it’s raining. That seems to be “the thing” today.
I finally dragged myself out of bed around 7ish, went into the kitchen, looked out the window, and was suddenly blinded by an enormous flash.
By the time I finished thinking, “Gee, that was impressive, but it’s still just lightning…” the shock wave hit, the windows rattled, and I nearly fell over.
Now, under those circumstances, I would normally run around unplugging computers and spend the rest of the day hiding in the basement. Today, however, I was late for work, so instead… (Are you ready for this?) I got in the shower.
Technically, water does not conduct electricity. Instead, that task is delegated to the metallic minerals and debris that are usually found in water, and they do a spectacular job. All I can say is I'm glad I wasn’t electrocuted.*
The fact that I was in the basement did little to obfuscate the din outside, so my terror was easily measurable in heartbeats per second. (What? Terror? Never. You must have mistyped something.)
Better yet, getting to work was even more interesting… It was kinda like being at an impressive fireworks display, except you can’t see much of anything, the explosions are far too close for comfort, and – to top it all off – you’re hurtling down the highway in a tiny metal box at something like 65 MPH.
* – Do you have any idea how terrified I am that somebody is ultimately going to find my charred, naked body smoking in a bathtub? How embarrassing that would be!